Langenlois, located an hour's drive from Vienna, is famous for producing fine wines - makes this a perfect weekend getaway to explore the Austrian wine region in Kamptal.
The town celebrates wine, its local vineyards and modern architecture.
- Weingut Groll: Grüner Veltliner Hiesberg Kamptal, dry and mineral and balanced.
- Weingut Steininger: Riesling Langenlois 2015, bright yellow and gold-shimmering Riesling with apricot, soft sweetness and elegant acidity.
- Weingut Schöller: Merlot 2013, bright ruby with elegant spice and flavours of dark berries and plum.
- Groll Weinbau Heuriger: Looking for a restaurant, consult your local "Heurigenkalender"- a small guide/ booklet listing all local winemakers which serve their new wine accompanied with simple and local food. Heuriger is short for "heurigen Wein" which is Austrian for "this year's wine". At Groll Heuriger they offer both hearty "Grillhendl" (grilled chicken) or light salads, paired with Grüner Veltliner or Riesling.
- WeinErlebnisWelt: Langenlois not only has exceptional wine, but also exceptional architecture. Just next to the Loisium Hotel is LOISIUM WeinErlebnisWelt, designed by US-architect Steven Holl. Interestingly you can also visit the wine cellars under the earth.
- Weinweg Langenlois: This 7 km path leads you through the wine-growing area, you learn more about Langenlois wine, its viniculturists, local cultivation of wine and its over 1000 year old history. It will take approximately 2 hours to walk the path (start: at Ursin Haus) and includes interesting sights and a few observation decks to take pictures.
- Loisium Vinothek: Not suprisingly I would recommend to shop for wine here. After the audio-guided tour through the WeinErlebnisWelt, we also stayed for a wine-tasting, which helps in deciding which wines to take home to enjoy.
WHERE TO STAY
- Loisium Wine & Spa Resort: Set in the middle of the vineyards this hotels seems the right choice to combine wine, good food and relaxation with their beautiful SPA area. All rooms have small balconies and overlook the vineyards or outdoor (heated) swimming pool. The SPA offers wine treatments (grape seed peelings) and a natural bathing pond set amidst the surrounding vineyards. In the morning enjoy breakfast on the sunny terrace with fresh local products.