To see the most of Munich, stay in the heart of the city: Altstadt. From here you can explore the Frauenkirche and all mainly pedestrian shopping areas (Maximilianstrasse, Fünf Höfe) and my favorite the Viktualienmarkt. For a weekend in Munich in February I had so much on my to-do-list; so expect another visit to Munich with more coffee and places...
CAFÉS / BREAKFAST
- Super Danke!: this place comes first because: we have been here ev-er-y-day :) a bit on the pricey side (compared to similar places in Berlin) but their organic smoothies and cold pressed juices were simply addictive.
- Man versus Machine: I found this café on instagram, loved their design and coffee cups / logo. However the coffee and staff were not all that impressive; I would rather go for Italian coffee in Munich than third-wave-coffee bars; they have many better options here.
- Bar Giornale: this restaurant, bar and café is centrally located on Leopoldstraße. Their lunch (and coffee) is amazing and this place feels more like you are in Italy than Bavaria.
- EMIKO: This is the restaurant of Louis Hotel where we stayed at. Not only do they offer a wide choice of vegan(!) items on their breakfast buffet - but they also serve amazing sushi during evenings; which we ordered for room service.
BARS / NIGHTLIFE
- Goldene Bar: For my first visit to Munich this bar was recommended to me by a local- and this was before they've won the Mixology Award Bar of the Year 2013 - coffee place during the day, cocktail heaven at night and close to the Eisbach to watch Munich's surfers.
- Eisbach Welle: Known to surfers around the world - I love coming here.
- EATALY: This place cannot be missed, directly on Viktualienmarkt for shopping, eating, a glass of wine or aperitivo, café and even cooking classes. Go there for a glass of wine or coffee during evenings, because most of the cafés around Viktualienmarkt close early.
WHERE TO STAY
- LOUIS Hotel: This hotel is directly on Viktualienmarkt - so it does not get any more central than that. The market is beautiful, the rooms have the easy-going and clean-Asian atmosphere with bath amenities from REN, comfortable slippers- a real place to relax in midst-of the city. Did I mention the beautiful lamps and vases from GUAXS?